What Is Invisalign?
What is Invisalign?
- The most technologically advanced, virtual 3-D scanning and manufacturing process, proprietary, teeth straitening system available.
- It uses a sequential series of aligners each programed with a specific amount of doctor-directed tooth movement.
- Aligners are smooth, comfortable and virtually invisible plastic that fit over your teeth.
- Invisalign aligners can correct a broad spectrum of dental issues including “bad bites”, misaligned teeth and smiles of adults and teens.
- Invisalign was introduced in 1999 and has been used by millions of patients including many celebrities including Justin Bieber, Katherine Heigl, Oprah Winfrey, and Heidi Klum.
How Invisalign Works
The aligners are produced from a medical grade plastic, approved by the FDA and custom-made to fit your teeth like a surgical glove. The teeth move at the instruction of your doctor, who determines the rate, sequence and direction of the movements. Approximately, every two weeks you will switch out to the next aligner in the sequence that will fit your teeth somewhat differently from your last aligner to continue the process of gradual alignment improvement. Since regular braces work by applying pressure on the teeth all the time, Invisalign, therefore needs to be worn very close to full-time also, Typically, Invisalign is to be worn for 22 hours per day, allowing 2 hours for brushing, flossing, and eating. Treatment time with Invisalign usually averages about one year but can range from 6 months to 2 years depending on several factors including the expertise and experience level of the doctor, the treatment plan, patient compliance, and severity of the malocclusion.
Types Of Invisalign treatment
Each of the products has specific reasons for their use but none of the products can move teeth any faster than the other. The type of Invisalign used is dependent upon the severity of the problem and the common stated goals of treatment agreed to by both patient and doctor. All 5 types have different price points.
INVISALIGN FULL - An unlimited number of aligners can be prescribed for treatment.
INVISALIGN TEEN - Same as Full, also includes up to 6 FREE replacement aligners if lost or broken.
INVISALIGN EXPRESS - For treatment of an extremely limited nature using 10 aligners or less and a lower fee (very few patients qualify). Beware for some less-than-ethical general dentists who use this product to advertise very low Invisalign fees only to bait and switch to more expensive procedures.
INVISALIGN EXPRESS 5 - For treatment of an exceptionally limited nature using 5 aligners or less and an even lower fee (even fewer patients qualify).
INVISALIGN ASSIST - An option for less experienced providers who need a little "hand holding" help from Invisalign technicians in treatment planning of simple malalignment cases. For cosmetic alignment of front teeth only and is limited to 14 aligners or less.
Contact our office today to schedule an appointment or for answers to all your Invisalign questions.